Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Bike Ride

I haven't ridden a bike in years. The last time I rode a bike, I flew over the handlebars and did a face plant in my driveway. I am the most awkward klutz on the planet, I swear.

My husband would ride his bike everywhere if he could. He loves his bike and always has. We had a day off together on Monday and he decided he was going to drag me along to ride with him. Never mind that I don't actually own a bike or a helmet of my own, he was determined that I was coming. So he loaded up his fancy bike and my 11 year old daughters beat up, ten dollar yard sale bike and off we went.

We went to a lovely little town called Orting. They have a great bike trail and the town is so cute! If only it weren't in the path of a lahar from Mt. Rainier, I would love to live there. Anyway, we parked the car and got out the bikes to begin our little adventure. Remember how I said I didn't have a helmet? Well, my husband found one for me. Dora the Explorer. No kidding. So, I'm riding a child's size bike wearing a Dora helmet. The plastic shell on the outside came off, so it was just white styrofoam, but the straps had little smiling stars on them in rainbow colors and it choked me.

Here's Kevin riding up ahead of me. I nearly crashed while taking this picture. Note to self: Stop riding while taking a photo...


Here's the Mister. Happy and in his element.


This is me. Also happy, but very out of my comfort zone.



They had the most darling little store there (also happens to be the pumpkin patch where I take my kids every October). They grow their own fruits and vegetables in the huge gardens. They sell them, along with lots of other local produce, honey, homemade sauces and salsa, etc. I got a flat of blueberries. I am a happy girl.

When all was said and done, we ended up riding about 5 miles that day. I was exhausted and sore, but also pretty proud of myself. Orting has a wonderful quilt shop called Wild Rose which we stopped at as well. I didn't buy anything, but I love looking around just the same. So, Monday turned out to be pretty good for me. How was your Monday?

1 comment: