Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Finding Work...

Disclaimer: This post is not about sewing, quilting, or anything craft related whatsoever. This is me being grouchy. I'll have an upbeat and cheerful crafty post next time =)


With all the kids in school this year, I decided that my role as a 'stay at home mom' could morph into a 'stay at home when the kids are home mom' and I could get a decent job. I have had a job for quite some time, but it is NOT what I want to do and it is very part time. As my schedule is now, I work on my husbands two days off every week, that way one of us can always be home with the kids. But when he's working and the kids are at school, I find myself sitting here for hours on end bored out of my mind. Plus, the hubs and I never get to spend any time together.

This morning I got up, showered, put make-up on, got dressed in my black slacks, fancy dress blouse, and high heels. Today was the day I was going to hunt for a job. I am of the mindset that when you go to a business and ask for employment, that you should look your best. Apparently, I am old school, for none of this dolling up was necessary.

Every single business I went to today told me that their applications are only available online. Really? So, I could have sat on my ass, in my pajamas, eating cheetos while also applying for a job at your establishment? And the person who does sit on their ass in their pajamas eating cheetos while looking for work has just as much chance of getting called for an interview as I do? When I drove all over town, in the heat, wasting gas, doing WORK to try to find WORK? This irritates me.

When I got my first job it was 1997 (It might amuse you to know that I still work for the same company.). I had just turned 17 and I spent DAYS going all over town filling out tons of applications. I went back into those places to speak to a manager to check back in about said applications. Trying to find a job was hard work. Now all we have to do is pull out our laptop and we can find a job while laying in bed if we want to! Filling out applications sucks. Even online. But I think it shows a real willingness to work if you physically go out looking and I feel I should get some extra credit for that. If I go into a business asking if they are hiring, they should be able to hand me a paper application that I can fill out on the spot, and I get brownie points for getting off my ass and doing it the old fashioned way.

I understand the need for online applications when you are looking for work outside of where you live. For example, if you are looking in other towns for employment. Seriously though, I was very disappointed today. I wanted to be able to go in, speak with a manager, and ask questions. I have a friendly smile, a good attitude (except for right now), I dress in a professional manner, and I speak well. No one knows that about me by reading a list of random multiple choice questions I answered on the internet.

End rant.

5 comments:

  1. oh dear..sorry. i know how you feel. i did the same thing this year. another added irritant is the instant psychological profile a lot of places make you take in addition to an app. and what gets me is my normal child and i havent gotten hired at places where we have seen scary tattooed freaks working. what are we doing wrong??! ack!
    smooches, hope all goes well with your online search
    .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know isn't it sad! I think you can still make yourself stand out by doing a follow up call.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll bet if you showed up to a Dr.'s office or at a dentists office looking for a part time job, tghat would make an impression! Good for you! You inspire!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How frustrating! Maybe you should go into the mom & pop type shops and ask if they need any help. Even if they aren't advertising, they may like having a few hours away from the shop to run errands or something. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks ladies! It was a disheartening experience, but I won't give up. Something will happen eventually (and exactly when it's supposed to).

    I think I'll go a step beyond your suggestion, Sha, and print out resumes to drop off at the locations I filled out online applications for :)

    ReplyDelete