Monday, June 27, 2011

Tech Free Summer

My kids, ages 11, 10, 8, and 5, have challenged themselves to go 10 days without the television or the computer. In my house, that's a big deal. I am trying to encourage them by doing the same. I do have the computer on for this blog post though and I can still tweet since my kids all agreed that that is for "work".

It really is amazing all of things you can do without all the distractions from technology.

Yesterday was day #1. We drove around to some quilt shops for the western WA shop hop and the kids and I got our free quilt blocks. We packed a picnic lunch and went to Flaming Geyser State Park. The Green River runs through it and the kids played in the water, throwing rocks, and watching people fish for hours.


They have been making up games and fun things to do. And believe it or not, a lot less fighting is going on! Last night was spent outside chatting with the neighbors while all the kids on the street played together. We even discussed having a block party.

Today the kids played outside all day. Right now there is a baseball game going on in my front yard.

I have been quietly sewing hexies and pin basting the camping quilt



On Friday I made my Farmer's Wife quilt block #8. I think it turned out really nice.

And on Saturday we went to a wedding where I gave a set of placemats and a small cross-stitch as a gift to the bride and groom.

I have been very busy, but it feels like a lazy summer without the buzz of television in my ears or a computer screen shining in my face. I think we could do this for much longer than 10 days. I could get used to this.

Selina

No comments:

Post a Comment