Friday, October 7, 2011

Helping Friends

A friend and fellow Misfit recently participated in a swap and had a rather rotten experience. Sometimes things like that happen I suppose, but I couldn't help but feel awful for her. I'm not going to go into any details about what went on, but suffice it to say that I was afraid that the doll quilt she received might possibly be a source of bad feelings for her. I wanted to make something to replace it. Something she would be happy to hang on the wall, to remind her that there are nice people in the world who really care about her.

I started chatting a bit with Amanda about getting some of the misfits to possibly make a block and send them to me. Of course, many of them jumped on board. This is such a great group of women who are always willing to help others. Amanda put together a tutorial for the block we would use (we settled on the Ohio Star block). We did a teensy bit of stalking to find out her favorite colors, and before long, I started getting beautiful blocks in my mailbox.


This was the block I made


Then I got several more


And this was the finished product.
I happen to know that she loves vintage sheets as well, so I used part of a vintage sheet I had for the backing.
 
We all signed our blocks so that Amy would know where they all came from. These blocks came from all over the U.S. and even one block from Tasmania! How awesome is that?!?! I am so happy to know all of these wonderful, generous ladies and I am happy to call them my friends.

2 comments:

  1. Y'all seriously don't even know what this little quilt means to me! There may have been some tears when I opened it and read the card and there was a lot of quilt hugging! I'm even taking it with me to show my Mom this weekend because I'm so completely blown away by everyone's kindness. After we get home, it's going to go up on my mini-quilt wall and that way I can enjoy seeing it every day. Y'all warmed my heart so much and I love every one of the Misfits for it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, it makes me so incredibly happy to know how much you love it! You are so sweet and I hated knowing that you were upset by a swap (which is supposed to be fun!!!). Hopefully you never have another yucky experience like that.

    ReplyDelete