Saturday, October 29, 2011

A Break From Sewing and Back Again

I have been in a serious sewing slump lately. Until yesterday, it had been over a week since I had even sat at my machine. I had been absolutely uninspired.

During that time I did teach myself to knit. My daughter, Alice, wanted to learn so we watched a few videos on YouTube and within the hour we were knitting.

I still can't actually make anything in a shape other than a square or rectangle, but I'm working on it.

Over the weekend Ben was in a play at school called 'The Wiz of the West'. It was put on by the Missoula Childrens Theatre. The kids all have an audition on Monday, and if they get a part they practice all week long and have their performance on Saturday. They don't allow you to take any photos during the performance but I got some cute ones afterward and I bought a DVD copy of the play. Here's Ben in his tarantula costume hanging with his sisters after the show:


I have my first craft fair coming up in a couple weeks, so this break from sewing was really poor timing. Yesterday I still didn't feel like it, but I decided I needed to force myself to just make something. ANYTHING. Pinterest is a really great place for finding inspiration (and wasting several hours on the computer) when you have lost your mojo. I got on, determined to find something simple to make, but wasn't feeling the urge to make any of the things I found. I ended up making my own pattern and these are what I came up with:

They are cases for iPads. I thought they might sell well at the craft fair, especially as Christmas gifts. The first 3 I made were from beautiful fabrics I received from my lovely friend Rebecca. They reminded me of fall. Originally I was going to make placemats with them for my thanksgiving table, but I couldn't find a coordinating background fabric I liked to go with them.

The fabric line is called 'Swoon' designed by Melissa Averinos. I just LOVE it.

After I made these I made a few more. I was kind of addicted after I made the first one. I guess you could say that my mojo has been found.



Also, my Misfits hoop is Finished and has been sent to it's new home. I want to show it SO BAD, but I don't want to give away any surprises. I hope my partner loves it (and the special extra goody I made to go with it). As soon as she gets it, I will definitely be posting pictures for all to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment