Monday, April 16, 2012

Festival of Half-Square Triangles

I have been so excited for this linky party! I went to a birthday party recently and I needed a gift to take with me. I found this tutorial awhile ago and thought a table runner with these blocks would make the perfect present. It was also about that time that I began seeing Megan's posts about the Festival of Half-Square Triangles linky party. What great timing!!!

I had a small fat quarter bundle of Kate Spain's Good Fortune fabric that I used for this project, along with some Kona solids. The polka dot backing/binding is from the Aunt Edna line by Denyse Schmidt.

 As per usual with HST's, I started with a bunch of squares (for measurements to make your own, check the tutorial HERE on the Freshly Pieced blog).

Here are my finished HST's. I then sewed them together to start forming the blocks.

I wasn't sure how to quilt this one (I usually become stumped at this part of the process) so I turned to twitter for some suggestions. I got a few suggestions for straight lines so decided to go with that. I did them on the diagonal to go with the lines of the fabrics.

I debated whether or not to do more quilting with diagonal lines going the other way for a criss-cross effect, but that would have been way too much.

This is the finished product and I absolutely love how it turned out. The birthday girl liked it as well. I hope you do too!

Go check out Megans blog to see all of the other wonder HST creations, and if you have a HST project you've made recently, link up so we can see yours too!

1 comment:

  1. Your runner looks beautiful - the fabric is so pretty and this is one of my favourite arrangements of HST's.

    ReplyDelete